Okay, I have to say, I’m really enjoying “Cloud my Lab”. They finally got my instance (Pod) up and running about 72 hours after my payment processed.
To get into the server, all I had to do was RDP in using my Windows RDP client and the provided IP and user credentials. Once I was in, I had all of the images pre-loaded and GNS3 configured for my first project.
For $30, I have to say, it’s totally worth it! Sure, it’s a convenience fee, but their technical staff stand ready to help with any trouble that I have.
In addition, I don’t have to worry about finding the best ios files and go through the hassle of uploading them. Also, this environment can be operated from a Chromebook RDP window app… that’s pretty convenient! I’ll create more posts later as I build out my lab environments and test additional features.
I found out today that my instance, “Pod”, only has 4GB of RAM while my subscription is currently set to “Tiny” which supports 8GB of RAM… I decided to upgrade to a “Small” instance because I noticed a little lag when I launched my text editor “Atom.io”, after doing so, I checked the CPU and RAM from the system properties and noticed that I was not getting the level of service that I paid for during my original subscription period. I’ve contacted their support and they are working diligently to resolve my issue.
I’m very excited to have the full 8vCPU’s and 16GB of RAM! I may even use this system for remote testing VPNs and ICMP from outside of my network.
Edit #2: This is what matters…
I was completely wrong about the configuration and setup over there at Cloud My Lab. After discovering that my host machine only had 4GB of RAM allocated, I contacted support to get it fixed. With the $30/mnth “Tiny” package, you should be getting 8GB RAM. Each time I started a text editor or web browwser, the CPU and RAM would spike! So I was a little frustrated.
After communicating with support, they explained that the GNS3 hosted instance gets the 8GB RAM remotely and that the Windows Host that you RDP into only gets the 4GB… This made a lot of sense once it was explained. It certainly explained the reason for the Windows Host maxing resources while the GNS3 Host continued to respond perfectly fine.